We hear it a lot this time of year: “I love Midsommarfest!” “I always make sure I’m in town that weekend.” “It’s my favorite festival of the whole summer!”
We all know there’s something special about Andersonville, and it seems to rub off on our yearly street bash. Like Andersonville, Midsommarfest is just about the most colorful, inclusive, vibrant blend you could imagine. Folks of every age, stripe, culture, demographic, and level of fabulousness join in a exuberant celebration of all that is Andersonville: from Swedish dancers to shirtless boys, from falafel to free family fun, from neighbors to ‘nother beer to support local schools. Add to that over 60 bands (lots more local music!), selections from some of our best local restaurants, talented artists and vendors of all types, and the best darn people watching this side of Wrigley Field, and you have what we think is the greatest party in town. We've even expanded the event to Friday night, and rewarded you with free beer for shopping local!
Midsommarfest is a world-class event, but it serves another function too. The funds raised at Midsommarfest support pretty much every other program that the Andersonville Chamber of Commerce and Andersonville Development Corporation produce year-round on behalf of the local, small businesses that make our community great.
Here’s a partial list of what Midsommarfest funds, in part or in whole:
- Andersonville Farmers Market
- Andersonville Arts Weekend
- Andersonville Wine Walk
- Andersonville Dessert Crawl
- Andersonville Green Week and other eco-Andersonville programs
- St Lucia Festival of Lights
- Andersonville Sidewalk Sale
- Late Night Andersonville
- Advocacy with property owners about prioritizing their rentals to locally owned, independent businesses
- Recruitment of local businesses to help fill vacancies and maintain the unique character of our neighborhood
- Assistance for existing and new businesses with city processes, advocacy, training, and a myriad of other kinds of support
Without funds raised at Midsommarfest, Andersonville would be a very different place.
Your $5 donation at the gate isn’t just payment for one day of fun; it’s also an investment in the Andersonville you love all year!
We are SO looking forward to seeing you this weekend. Midsommarfest is Friday, June 8 from 5-10PM; Saturday, June 9 & Sunday, June 10, 11AM–10PM. See the links above for information on events, bands, and more. Please stop by the Chamber booth at Clark and Berwyn and say hello!