The final award to preview before the voting starts tomorrow is the Welcome Addition Award, for the best new Andersonville business to open in 2012. If you follow us on Facebook, we have been posting some teaser photos this past week. And a photo of each of these six businesses will be featured on our Andersonville Honors Gala poster, which you will start to see pop up around the neighborhood tomorrow!
We had an incredible number of new businesses open their doors in 2012, and whether they were a first time venture or a second or third location, we are so grateful and lucky they chose to make Andersonville their home. The following are the nominees up for the Welcome Addition Award:
- Bongo Room is an original restaurant that strives to serve fresh, seasonal breakfast and brunch food in a unique way. They brought their long brunch lines and fluffy, delicious pancakes to Andersonville in 2012 with their third Chicago outpost on Clark Street south of Foster Avenue.
- Andersonville became a sweeter place in 2012 with the opening of the First Slice Pie Cafe. They also sold their homemade creations at the 2012 Andersonville Farmers Market. The proceeds from this not for profit go towards helping to feed the needy and the homeless.
- Found Vintage Living, a lifestyle store specializing in unique vintage furniture, barware, lamps, art and accessories.is also the newest business on this list, opening during the 2012 holiday season. But even in just a few short months they have drawn attention to their side street location on Bryn Mawr!.
- Jameson Loves Danger has obviously made a splash in Andersonville, with nominations for Retailer of the Year and the Good Neighbor Award in addition to the ‘best new business’ honor. A friendly neighborhood pet store that sells pet supplies, grooming services, and has supply delivery.
- Jerry’s opened their second location in Andersonville in 2012, taking over a long vacant space and adding some new energy to a quiet part of Clark Street. And the neighborhood responded, also giving Jerry’s a nomination for Restaurant/Bar of the Year!.
- Milk Handmade garnered a lot of attention in 2012 when she opened in a small space south of Foster, and that attention lead to Time Out Chicago’s Best New Boutique award! This shop selling handmade clothing and accessories is also nominated for the Retailer of the Year Award.